If you’re reading this post and don’t have a slow cooker, STOP and order one from Amazon immediately. Seriously — they’re game changers. Meal prep? Hassle free. Queso dip? Easy. Shredded chicken? Even easier. Carne con Papa? Tambien! Slow cookers literally do it all and require very little in return.
I admit I wasn’t always a Crock Pot enthusiast. In fact, it took three miserable winters and a nine to five schedule to turn me into a believer. Not to mention the Midwest’s unrelenting love for a good slow cooker recipe. Naturally, I became curious, gave into peer pressure and got myself a new favorite gadget. Haven’t looked back since!
The recipe I’m sharing today is a SkinnyTaste original, the first slow cooker dish I tried and a personal favorite. You can serve it a variety of ways, like over a bed of rice (cauliflower, brown or white) or with lettuce cups and fajita toppings. I typically pour all the ingredients into the slow cooker before work and set on low for 6-8 hours while I’m away. For dinner, I’ll shred the chicken to eat with lettuce cups and pack up leftovers with rice for lunch the next day. Pro tip: Badia Complete + Aji Sobremesa Hot Sauce
BUEN PROVECHO x MUCHOS BESOS
*Yields 4-6 servings
- 1.5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned
- 1 can of sweet corn, drained
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 jar of salsa (I prefer the salsa made in house or Sabra brand)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (cheddar or pepper jack)
- Badia Completo OR: salt, pepper, garlic, cumin
- Add corn, black beans, sliced peppers and seasoning to the slow cooker. Toss.
- Place seasoned chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
- Pour an entire container of salsa over the breasts.
- Set to Low for 6-8 hours.
- When there’s 30 minutes left, add a layer of cheese and cover.
- Use slotted spoon to serve. This chicken will release quite a bit of liquid, so it’s best to drain.